Work is often a stressful environment, and it can be difficult to maintain a “Can Do” attitude and be positive all the time. It is important to be positive as studies have shown that those who consistently have a positive attitude at work are more likely to succeed in their jobs, be considered for promotion and get along better with their co-workers. Stress and constant negativity at work can negatively impact one ones health.
- Be a team player – put simply, roll with the punches. Sometimes we have to do things that we don't find enjoyable, but are necessary for the greater good of the team and the company.
- Avoid complaining – complaining is the biggest waste of time and energy. Every second spent complaining could be spent improving.
- Turn problems into Opportunities – when faced with a problem, take the “glass half full” approach and turn it into a learning opportunity.
- Focus on the good not the bad – You can't always control circumstances. However, you can always control your attitude, approach, and response. Your options are to complain or to look ahead and figure out how to make the situation better.
- Stay healthy and well rested – the human body is a machine. Just like a car, it needs to be maintained properly in order to run well. A poor diet and lack of exercise can influence your attitude. Eating healthily and gettng regular exercise will improve your attitude towards yourself which will reflect externally too.
- Be appreciative, treat others with respect – Start to observe how you communicate with your co-workers. Give accolades, compliments and be gracious to your co-workers – see the difference in those around you!
- Re-charge yourself – “A dead battery can't charge a dead battery.” Stop complaining about negative attitudes and lend your own energy to creating a more positive attitude in the workplace. Be the office live wire!